One of the most important parts of your car’s manual transmission is the clutch. With it, the power produced by your engine is transferred to your transmission and your car accelerates. But since it’s heavily used, it can experience issues sooner than other parts of the transmission, and that’s where Cottman Transmission can help. Our shop in Raleigh, North Carolina, is home to knowledgeable transmission service professionals who understand the clutch, how it affects your car, and how to perform clutch repairs and replacements. By the end of your service, you’ll be able to regain the connection between your engine and transmission.
Is Something Wrong With Your Clutch?
When it comes to your clutch, you must understand when it’s starting to experience wear-and-tear or failure. The clutch is a heavily used, so it’s more susceptible to issues because of the sheer volume it sees in regards to work. At Cottman Transmission, we want to help you become eagle-eyed professionals of your car’s clutch. Lets start by going over the clutch components:
- The Clutch Disc: This plate is lined with a friction material which makes the connection between the engine and transmission.
- The Flywheel: The flywheel gives the clutch disc a surface to hold onto.
- The Pressure Plate: The pressure plate is responsible for pressing the clutch disc against the flywheel.
- The Throwout Bearing: When you press down on the clutch pedal, the throwout bearing will release the pressure plates from the clutch disc and flywheel, allowing you to shift to the next gear.
Now that we know more about the individual clutch components, lets discuss the warning signs of possible clutch failure:
- Clutch feels wrong: Over time, you’ll have a sense of how the clutch feels. So if you feel like something is off with the clutch, don’t ignore it! If the clutch feels soft or the catch or release point has changed, that’s a clear sign something is off. It may be something as simple as the air is trapped in the hydraulic system, but there could also be other issues causing it, so make sure to visit our shop as soon as you can.
- Mismatched engine speed and acceleration: Have you pressed on the gas pedal and hear the engine revving, but left confused as to why you don’t seem to be accelerating at the same pace? This could mean your clutch is slipping because the clutch disc’s friction material has worn out. Ignoring this issue will eventually case your clutch to slip all of the time and prevent you from accelerating at all, so it’s best to have it inspected right away.
Visit Our Facility!
Without your transmission’s clutch, you won’t be able to direct power from the engine to the transmission. Make sure your clutch is always performing properly and schedule a clutch service with Cottman Transmission. Located in Raleigh, North Carolina, our shop is filled the high-quality equipment and seasoned professionals that can perform whatever clutch repair you might need. Whether you’re suffering from bad clutch linkage, need the system bled, or require a complete clutch replacement, know that we’ll be able to fix it for you at a reasonable price.
Looking to schedule a visit? Have questions about our clutch repair service? Feel free to give us a call at (919) 875-0660, as we’re always ready to help. You can also visit us on 4001 North New Hope Road, as we happily accept walk-ins and offer after-hours drop-off and pick-up. We can’t wait to work with you!